Thursday, June 23, 2011

On our way now to Barcelona(... finally!), I can't help but feel a nostalgia for this path I have fallen into. The first time I backpacked through Europe ( 8years ago now) Joy and I ended up along this same trek. Through Montpellier to Barcelona.  However, Joy and I had to learn a pretty good lesson of not showing up in a town after the train station was closed and busses we're done. We had found that we were pretty stuck. Also, we hadn't eaten since the morning and just wiped from that days travel from Edinburgh Scottland. We ended up getting help from local frenchmen, of all people, and all we owed them was a "good reputation of  french people".
This got me thinking  about the trials and errors we come across in life, or on particular journey's within life. I was waiting at the train station with our bags while Aaron booked our trip and saw crew after crew of touring cyclists. I looked at our bags, and was feeling pretty sorry for myself. I started trying to justify our adventure as more worthy, or more adventurous. I convinced myself that half of these people in their jeans and street clothes  that they weren't even going that far most likely, or they knew where they were going everyday, how exciting can that be?... etc; but that we were testing the limits by taking one idea and exchanging it entirely for another under split decisions. I figure one can second guess their second guess all day long, but when it comes down to it you got to decide at some point. So, I decided! It is going to be a journey through daily life... with my new husband, and a learning of compromise and saying with the moment.

     I may be projecting this as a chore at times here, always with this undertone of guilt, or hassles... but really it has been paradise and I figure in order to make something even remotely interesting to read there has to be some kind of antagonizing aspect, right?!
It has been good for me to post this blog when we make the time, I hope to be able to post picutres some day soon.
 with love,
J.D.

2 comments:

  1. Even the best laid plans go awry! Life is an adventure, a daily adventure. You know as well as anyone, you've taught it to me for goodness sake, that it's not about the destination, but the journey.

    The other thing is not to over think or waste time comparing yourself to others. What, you're not as hard core as someone else? There is always tons of people who are doing better, and even more doing worse, than you are. You'll just make yourself sick trying to make up for it either way.

    The best you can do is try to be happy and thankful with who you are and where you are at. It is where you are meant to be and what you are meant to be doing. All I hope for, is that you are having fun and happy!

    I've come a long way, haven't I? I thank you, my free spirit daughter, for showing me the way.

    I Love you both,
    Momma McDowallini

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear an update that the trip is moving you two to bigger things. How is the musical journey going? Have you and Aaron played anything in French? Also, I am surprised you didn't go North to Belgium. Waffles, chocolate and beer. Need more than that?

    ReplyDelete